Universal Credit and Benefits

How we can help you…

The Into Work Advice Service can provide assistance with applying for Universal Credit and understanding how the Benefit Cap can effect you.

Are you moving to Universal Credit? Into Work can help!

We offer support and guidance on:

  • Applying for Universal Credit
  • Maintaining your Universal Credit Claim
  • Accessing employment, training and volunteering opportunities

Access support via our Job Clubs located across Cardiff, via email or through the Into Work website.

02920 871 071


Universal Credit

It’s a benefit which incorporate 6 existing benefits and it’s for people of working age group, on a low income, in or out of work. It has been introduced to give people the support they need to find and progress in work, but it is also meant to help people with their living costs.

It is paid monthly and it is made up of standard allowance plus any extra amounts that apply to you (for example: if you have children, disability or health condition, etc.). Your circumstances are assessed every month and what you are paid may change. The benefit cap may limit the amount of benefit you receive.

What you need to apply

In order to claim Universal Credit, you will need to set up a Universal Credit online account.

The best, fastest and safest way to access the webpage is to sign in with the Gov.uk Verify

You will need:

  • Your bank, building society or credit union account details
  • An email address
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Information about your housing (i.e. how much rent you pay)
  • Details of your income (i.e. payslips, benefits details)
  • Details of savings (like a property that you rent out)
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare if you’re applying for help with childcare cost (UC may cover 85% of it)

When you apply, if you don’t have the whole documentation with you, it might affect how much you get when you get paid.

Need help? Come to the Hub!

Don’t have a bank account or an email address? We can help you!

You can visit your local hub (and all our outreach locations) to:

  • Get advice on how to open a bank account
  • Open an email address
  • Collect information about your housing if you are a Council tenant
  • Get details of the benefits you are already in receipt of (i.e. Child Benefit)
  • Print your payslip
  • Get verified (Gov.uk Verify) in order to register with the Universal Credit online service
  • Update your claim if you have any changes in circumstances
  • Create / update / print your CV
  • Manage your journal to maintain your Universal Credit
  • Get further help / support to get back to employment / training


Universal Credit Money Manager

What is the Benefit Cap?

Our Into Work and Money Advice Team have put together some information to help you understand the Benefit Cap and how it may affect you. Further information can be accessed by visiting Gov.uk

How much will benefits in Cardiff be capped at?

£384.62 per week for couples and families and £257.69 per week for single adults. Although these limits apply from 7th November 2016, not all households will be affected by the change straight away. If you are affected, we will contact you to tell you the new amount of Housing Benefit and when this will change.

What income will be taken into account?

The Benefit Cap is a limit placed on the total amount of benefits a working age household can receive. By household we mean you, your partner and any dependant children that live with you.

  • Housing Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Widowed Mothers Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (except where it is paid with the support group)
  • Widow’s Pension (including the age related component)
  • Widowed Parents Allowance

Will the cap apply to everyone?

No. If you, your partner or any dependent children living with you receive any of the following benefits you will not be affected, even if your income from the benefits listed exceeds the maximum weekly amount.

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • War Widow’s or War Widowers Pension
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • War Pensions
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Support Component of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independent Payments

What can I do now?

If you return to work and claim working tax credit, you will be exempt from the benefit cap and will be much better off each week.

  • Look at options for finding work
  • Apply for financial support while you follow an Into Work Action Plan

If you agree to engage with the Into Work Advice Service, we may be able to award you a Discretionary Housing Payment for some or all of the shortfall in your rent. The Council has a limited amount of money to make these payments and can only make payments to those in greatest need. In exceptional cases we may be able to make an award without you engaging. See the Money Advice Team.

Review Your Finances

The Money Advice Team can advise you on debt and budgeting. They can also make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to and will look to see if you may qualify for any extra help such as discounts on your utility bills.

Mr John was given financial help towards his rent while he engaged with the Into Work Advice Service. This meant the shortfall in his rent was paid by a Discretionary Housing Payment. He is now over £130 a week better off and is no longer affected by the benefit cap.

Where to go to get free debt advice

Find out what you could be eligible for

One of our specialist advisors may be able to help you with mentoring, pay for childcare, travel costs and more.

To help us find the right advisor for you, please answer the questions below and a member of staff will be in touch.

By providing us with your contact details, you aware that an Into Work staff member will be contacting you. If you change your mind or wish to withdraw your consent to be contacted, please email us at intoworkadviceservice@cardiff.gov.uk.

    Get in touch …

    Phone the Money Advice Team or the Into Work Advice Service on 029 2087 1071

    Email the Money Advice Team advicehub@cardiff.gov.uk
    or our
    Into Work Advice Service intoworkadvice@cardiff.gov.uk

    You can visit any of our Hubs for more information and help is available in many languages.

    View our other websites

    The Hub Adult Community Learning Cardiff Works Volunteer Cardiff Money Advice Service